Tuesday 1 May 2012

Relief: Why doesn't the world do something?

I have had a most challenging and interesting conversation in that the other party stated that they believed there was a god who created the world and everything and caused us to have life and be placed here and that was where god stopped. Everything else was left to us to decide our paths and control our thoughts and actions, nothing was set and everything was fluid. This, I was told, would explain the reason that there was so much suffering and death in the world; god had done his bit and now declined to have any involvement in things.

I pointed out that many of the deaths across the world could be prevented if only large corporations put shareholder dividends and profits second to making their products (drugs and services) available to those with need at cost price; the principle of getting those who could pay doing so with the result that those who couldn't might benefit! I also pointed out that many of the wars used differences and well-constructed lines of race, colour, creed and tongue as the legitimising element for their own greed and violence.

The response to this was that when it came to need, "The Church should be doing something!" I quickly pointed out that indeed the Church was only to be told, "Then it needs to do more!"

I explained that what we needed was the world to become engaged in the battle against poverty, disease, famine and conflict but came away thinking that the prevailing attitude was that this was the Church's task not the worlds.

Guess we are the universal do-gooders.

Who is my brother (and why are they only the world's when we have a BBC TV day full of celeb's making appeals)?

Aaaargh!

ps. I was recently stopped by a lovely old lady who told me how she turned over when 'them poor black babies' were put on the screen to raise money. "They don't seem to think how seeing images like that spoils our television watching, " says she, "I have to turn over!"

Seems like many of those in the world turn over whilst the Church (I hope) watches, weeps, prays and (I hope) acts!

2 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

"The World" of course, is made up of individuals, many of whom are doing something - even if it is only to give a little money.
While I detest the "don't tell me that, it offends me" school of thought, I do have some sympathy with the person who finds the constant sight of suffering individuals, old and young hard to deal with, especially if there is nothing at all they can do to help.
There is a sort of 'caring exhaustion' which eventually takes over from horrified concern.

UKViewer said...

Inevitably, I would have asked them the question, what are YOU doing to make the world a better place?

Because, expecting someone else to do without your participation is a no-win situation.

I think that you have been patient and pastoral with them, I'm not sure whether I could be.