Wednesday 15 January 2014

Theologically sensitive or merely seeking to be popular?

I've been asked to think about how we think about thinking about thinking theologically. So here it the beginning of it (I think):

If there is anything that makes thinking theologically an interesting and, at times, potentially frustrating thing, it has to be the fact that so many of us want to work in a world where things are always mutually exclusive. Add to this the challenge of having people who call upon us to 'interpret the Bible using the lens of our heart' and those who are happy to embrace all and every thinking on the grounds that we are 'called to peace' or because we are called to be' inclusive' (phrases that need to be interpreted and understood at some stage)  and we find ourselves in a very interesting place indeed - and it don't always look 'Christian' (if that means 'Biblical' or refers to the way we live our faith!). The challenge is that we do indeed need to be 'theologically sensitive' and we seek the truth whether it is popular or not.

I'm having a bit of a struggle with a few issues at the moment. This is what I do because I'm called to do it for myself as a believer and for those I pastor, as a pastor, and those teach and  . . . (you know what I mean I'm sure).

My faith demands that I examine and question and explore and dialogue (with those who believe like me, unlike me and not like me at all) with the things I believe, think I believe and think I might not believe too. This is the Christian's quest - to ask awkward questions and seek unbelievable answers to questions of belief and then, having managed to do that to some extent, direct my life (and help others to follow too) on the way that God hints* that I should go.

Looking, as I am, at the question of infant baptism I am encountering many friends who are happy for this to feature alongside adult baptism. Both have their place in Church practice and are indicated in the Bible. 'What's the problem with having both?' they cry.  And before the words are dry in the ears of the hearers response, 'We can only have one baptism - and that's . . .' is heard and battle is joined. There can be but one solution and, fallen human nature to the fore, we need to our view to be the persuasive, compelling and predominant viewpoint. Anything else is obviously just plain wrong because . . . well because it's 'MY' view for a start and the fact I WANT it to be the way things are done should surely be enough for it to be exactly that!

We then starts the horse trading:

'We have 'always' done this!'
(isn't 'always' a real curse? It is the province of the insecure and the feeble-minded or the faux security of those who who know they're on shifting and uncertain ground!). It's also the opportunity for the, 'But we know better know' brigade (and let's be fair, you can only refer to slavery and the like so many times before it just becomes a little hollow and worthless!).

'We live in a different time - that was then, this is now!'
The irony with this approach is that those who bring this gambit into play seem to forget that there are a number of factors to be considered:

i. Many of the things they oppose were actually part of the Church when people could remember the stuff the people we call Apostles were doing their stuff pretty accurately. It was the practice 'then' for them - not history!

ii. When it comes to 'ignorance' we forget that living and doing Church from first principles without the assistance of search engines, the internet and the resources that make even the most idiotic appear to have some knowledge (I know, I've looked in the mirror!). They weren't 'thick or primitive or ignorant' in fact, discovering it for themselves and thinking about it actually makes them look a darn sight cleverer than we give them credit for!

iii. When it comes to being 'enlightened' I have to say that it doesn't hold water from where I'm hiding. In fact I have to own up and say that I am just a little tired of the people who think that we are the brightest and the best and that 'our modern thinking' is the datum from which all else is to be judged and the yardstick by which all is measured. In a world of polyamory, natural law and revenge-ridden madness I find this grasping just a little too far.

'Let me quote . . .'
If this quote happens to be from the Bible then we have a few opportunities for problems in that many who like to quote for the Bible also enjoy engaging in the practice of 'prooftexting' - this is the method of finding words that meet our needs, support our words and give us the opportunity to look smugly at our opponent with 'incontrovertible truth'. The problem is that to do this the proof text needs to be in context and not just a few words selected because they say what you want them to say.

My Favourite example of this is the fact that the Bible supports the claims of some in that, 'There is no God!'  An Atheist friend used to use this with the reference: Psalm 14 - and he was right to quote it as he did. The reason for my thinking being that the whole verse (verse one) tells us: 'The fool says in his heart, There is no God!'

Engage in prooftexting  in the secure knowledge that you, and your argument, are destined to be on the wrong end of a good kicking.

The other end of the 'quoting someone' spectrum is the person who will quote some self-absorded, self-supporting, all-knowing plankton as if their very words had been handed down on Sinai's mount itself. Dorkins may find himself quote worthy and perennially valid, but most of my atheist friends don't. Claims to rational thinking need to be rational and valid. Wanting them to be is (sadly) not the province of any one player in the world of theological debate - all have fallen into this trap (and will continue to do so I'm sure).


So there we are - fifteen minutes of splurge from the recesses of my bonce. Madness, misdirection and mayhem? Probably - but if it get us talking, thinking and challenging ourselves and others (always best to start with ourselves - easier to win against limited intellects).

More soon!

*'Hints' - Recently, listening to a preacher on the radio I heard them tell their listeners that 'God commands us to do nothing but love and how this shapes everything else - Love is the only absolute and it ignores everything in its name. Outside of love there are no commandments - only hints as to how we might live!'

No comments: