Sunday 21 February 2010

Giving alms - Part the Second

Ever offered to buy someone the food that they're begging money to buy only to be told what to do or where to go? What do we do then? Do we meekly smile and walk away or perhaps engage the person begging in a dialogue or perhaps even feel we're being conned?

Whenever someone asks me for, "Money to buy food," I offer to provide the focus of their request, which is of course the food. When they tell me that they don't want the food I then realise that the request is merely a pretence and what they really are asking for is money. "Give me your money," just doesn't really work so we wrap it up in some window dressing just like everyone else in the world (and the Church too!).

Wondering what I mean? Let's move the focus to healing. I have often been in a position where I want God to deal with something in me but I'm a bit frightened it will hurt and yet it doesn't. God deals with it gently and lovingly. So the next time I come to a place where I need healing (or correction) I 'bravely' tell God I want it dealt with, even if it hurts, and it does! You can't con God but we can con each other. Another example is when we're all together being holy and we're busting a gut to be given a role or work in a certain area. What do we do? We make it look like we're not asking for it but do so in such a way that we will probably get it and even protest a little or feign shock or faux humility. Isn't Church great ? It's just more of the world but forgiven and living in that reality.

Yep, beggars are merely human like us, just not as fortunate in their circumstances and although this is often a result of their own folly this is not always the case. This is where treating beggars like human comes in handy because we actually find out who the person is (for even beggars have names) and some of the circumstance or situation that brings them to place you find them.

So when we're asked for money for food or drink, or clothing or a journey somewhere and it's refused because they want the money what do we do? I offer to meet the need, although these days I offer to take people to the place where possible as well as offer food or drink. I am happy to give but I don't want to fund something that will go against what I believe in the form of illegal stuff.

So here's a thought (answers most welcome). Am I wrong to think and act as I do and should modify my position to give and not be concerned with where the money will go? After all, as I was recently told, it's their life and they'll buy drugs anyway so what gives me the right to take away their free will to spend the money as they please by only providing what they ask for (food) and not what they want (money)?

Am I being controlling or merely exhibiting wisdom and compassion in one act?

I await responses with anticipation (and those who email me can just stick them here ;-)  )

4 comments:

Judah said...

Your money is actually God's money - you are just the steward of it for now. Ask if God wants someone to spend His money on something like drugs which cause great harm, or on food that meets a genuine need and provides real nourishment, and I think the answer is probably fairly obvious. It is not about the other's "free will" at all. It is about what God wants done with His money instead.

Upnorfjoel said...

Our Church does it's best to vet the recipients of our annual Christmas gifts to 5 or 6 households in need. And although we look for genuine want and a worthy cause, we can only do so much about assuring where the money actually goes. As our Rector has said, at some point, you have to trust that the gift serves God's purpose, and let it be.
After all, God gives me everything with no questions asked!

Judah said...

"I have often been in a position where I want God to deal with something in me but I'm a bit frightened it will hurt and yet it doesn't. God deals with it gently and lovingly. So the next time I come to a place where I need healing (or correction) I 'bravely' tell God I want it dealt with, even if it hurts, and it does!"

Vic, would you please mind elaborating a little on the apparent contradiction that, in having God deal with something about you, it doesn't hurt and it does hurt? Thanks.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Joel,

Thanks for the comments - I'll pick them up in a new posting rather than fill the comments section.

See you're a boater - we do canals this end.

thanks,

Vic

ps. Judah - I'm going to post regarding your comments too!

Pax