Thursday 11 February 2010

Why I am Anglican

One of the comments made here recently asked me why I was an Anglican. This is one of the easiest questions I have had to answer of late (although I have a feeling the pension changes might change this as well!).

I am an Anglican because I believe that it is one of the few denominations in the U.K. which enables me to remain a truly orthodox Christian, despite the liberals, and has the soundest combination of liturgy, ministry and theology I can find. I distinctly heard God call me into the C of E proclaiming it to be the 'only boat to fish from' and I have not been disappointed.

Look at the broadness of the Anglican Communion and you'll find we're more Catholic than Rome as there's no influence of Vatican ][ for us (which of course is why Bennie's after our clergy and congregations to bolster a reforming and changing RC church), we do it as it used to be did!

Take a look at the Charismatic and Pentecostal strands and you'll see that the Anglicans do it better (and we're still Biblical with our theology and liturgy - not many can claim ). New Wine, Soul Survivor and much, much, much more (sorry have a long-term Police Academy gene problem) besides.

Looking at the central church and you'll struggle to see much difference between us and the Baptists (except we baptise babies, just like they did in the early church - no modern anabaptist heresies for us folk) or many other non-conformists (except we have a prayer book and ordered and structured liturgy) - but I'm sure you get the picture!

Look at Christians doing the stuff where the rubber meets the road in the many crises that life offers or in ecumenical circles and the majority player is, of course, Anglican. We're happy to share and to help all the churches grow - it's about Church and not 'my church' and we know and live in that reality.

Our liturgy is Biblical. Couple with this the excellent traditions of English Choral music and you'll see that we really do have a great deal to be thankful for. Try a sung eucharist and revel in an organ and an anthem sung well and there's no doubting the reality that the organ is 'the instrument!'.

On the liberal side we're (sadly) more camp than Colditz (but I won't go there :-)  we can escape! ).

Bottom line (can I say that so close to the previous topic?) is that we are still an extremely orthodox denomination and Scripture, Reason and Tradition loom large in everything that is Anglican for the majority of the time and for the majority of the people.

Ask people where their Christian journey began and, for the greater part, you'll find Anglican involvement! Sadly, many get lured away by the buzz, the music and the crowds (but they are sheep and so have to follow I suppose).

For those who are dismayed by today's goings on at Synod, can I encourage you to step back and take stock and then thank God for what the C of E really is? For those who would wish to write us (Anglicans) off can I encourage you to support the sound Christians who make up the best part of the Anglican Communion and stand with us rather than seek to lead people away from our heresy into your promised land?

Pray for us and our situation, for our leaders and for those who seek to make the church look like the world rather than the other way round and for those who remain faithful to the Gospel of Christ and will continue to - because this is where we're called. Bless us and stand with us as brothers and co-workers in the same vineyard.

Pax

No comments: