Sunday 17 October 2010

Synchronised Swimming (of the Tiber)!

I see that the good folk of St. Peter's Church in Folkestone have become the first church to take up Bennie's offer and swim the Tiber (which will be pretty easy after making it across the Channel!).

Of course, what's really happening is a bunch of disaffected people are leaving and taking their bat, ball and thiruble with them as a gesture of dissent. Sadly, for those outside the Church it means nothing at all and for those inside it means perhaps even less unless of course you take on board the fact that by leaving they are possibly seeking their own ends and leaving the C of E to flounder and perish! Mind you, they'll still be in Folkestone at the end of it all - just away from their previous address - it's not a real move just a bit of a positional change ;). Not only that, but those who swim are no longer Anglican and have no right, upon leaving, to comment or advise those whom they have left behind for this is surely only the privilege of those who remain and contend for their beliefs.

Now, personally, I am very happy for John Broadhurst, the people of St Peter's and anyone else who makes a stand and leaves. BUT they must accept that having done so and criticism will be met with, "Well, they would say that wouldn't they?" and it (and they) will either be ignored or become the object of contempt, mirth or disgust. But they won't mind, they've entered the promised land, haven't they?

General Synod has an increased population of the high Church sorts and yet rather than back these and take up the fight, they have chosen to leave. The point they make shouts volumes and whilst I am not unsympathetic, it does appear to make the, "I'm only concerned about the C of E." sound like a rather hollow and meaningless statement when accompanied by actions.

Congratulations and farewell, I hope they find what they are seeking (I have my doubts) and I hope they can now settle down to being part of the RC plc and forget that they were ever Anglicans.

Rome, I fear, most certainly will!

3 comments:

UKViewer said...

I am in Canterbury diocese, and I am sad to seem them leave. Of course, they have to face the fact of losing their place of worship, the funds and the vicarage and any other real estate which might be part of the parish.

It will all need to be handed over in good order, hopefully with good will on both sides. There may even be scope for them to rent the church back, although I believe that those parishioners who remain anglican, might have something to say about that. And there are some, who have commented how disappointed they are.

I wonder if the decision was taken at an open APCM where all parishioners would have a voice and vote?

Where next, there are some other Anglo-Catholic parishes in Kent, will they go the same way. I await developments.

Jill said...

Having listened to most of the addresses at the Forward in Faith Assembly over the weekend, I think the time has come when they have realised they are flogging a dead horse!

As Bishop John said, the best they can hope for in the C of E is another five years of attrition.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I know it's tough, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet!

I missed the 'sacred synod' but have listened to the recordings on the FIF site and find more than a measure of sympathy for the positions occupied.

I just think there might still be some mileage!

A very sad situation :(