Tuesday 23 November 2010

+Willesden Silenced by fascists?

The bishop of Willesden, being a supporter of that nefarious organisation, Tottenham Hotspur, generally has to be regarded as a much loved but fallen member of the Christian community.

That said, he's made a few comments about a royal and his prospective missus (wedding - Westminster Abbey, Friday twenty-ninth of April 2011) and pointed out that the aforementioned group (royal, not Tottenham fans) haven't had a great track record of fidelity (don't know though, just how many managers have they had?) and compared them to 'shallow celebrities' and marriages that fail to live past the itch (seven years) and these have caused some to scream and shout for his blood.

Richard Chartres, Bishop of London and well-known disciplinarian and all-round nice guy speaks of the situation, thus:

"I was appalled by the Bishop of Willesden’s comments about the forthcoming royal marriage. In common with most of the country I share the joy which the news of the engagement has brought.

I have now had an opportunity to discuss with Bishop Peter how his comments came to be made and I have noted his unreserved apology. Nevertheless, I have asked him to withdraw from public ministry until further notice. I have also been in touch with St James’s Palace to express my own dismay on behalf of the Church.

Arrangements will need to be made in Bishop Peter’s absence and further details will be given in due course.

With thanks for your partnership in the Gospel.

The Rt Revd and Rt Hon Richard Chartres KCVO DD FSA"


Now, whilst everyone is telling me Pete's not suspended, I struggle to understand what 'being absent' is if this is not removal from duties. The bloke made a few comments which of course he's perfectly able to do, it's called freedom of speech and whilst I don't agree with him, he has broken no church rules (although he's probably upset the Supreme Governor).

Interesting how others, closer than Willesden, have broken church rules and received nothing more than an investigation from an Archdeacon (which amazingly came to nothing - certainly nothing compared to Pete Broadbent's discipline). Suffice to say, I don't think Willesden's going to get the job officiating.

Still, always a bright side to life as he can enjoy a home match against Liverpool this Sunday and perhaps David Urquhart (Bishop of Birmingham) will offer him lunch if he pops up for the away match against Birmigham. If he's lucky, he might still be off on the twelfth of December for the home match against Chelsea (another Sunday off - perhaps I'll make a comment as well!) too!

Still, a victory for suppression of free speech and the power of the press to force us down the road of keeping within their limits. The man is, and has been a credit to the Church of England and I am sorry to say that I feel this storm in a teacup shames +London rather than applauds him. After all, I don't like Marmite and know that some who obviously do berate me for it. :)

Pax

No comments: