Wednesday 29 December 2010

Colourfast Christians - An Explanation

Regarding 'Colourfast Christians - For me the T-Shirt is about living out my Christian faith in a way that is obvious and effective. If I have to tell people I'm wearing it, or have to make a fuss to get the fact noticed, then I'm doing it all wrong.

The 'T-Shirt' is something I think we can, and should, all be wearing as Christians as a piece of basic clothing.

Regarding the song and dance aspect of wearing the garment, my initial zeal became tempered by 'being balanced' and then I let it become a habit rather than a fresh experience every day. It was good that I became more balanced but it is a sadness and a shame that I let my faith become more of a habit than a statement of faith (and faithful living). A slow move away from reading the Bible and praying for those around me and especially praying expectantly left me with an increasingly faded witness. This eventually became the T-Shirt which proclaimed that I was a Christian to me, but said nothing at all to those who saw me.


I'd like to think that wearing the T-Shirt is all about prayer and reading our Bible and because of what we read and how we pray changes the way that we live because of it, people will see the difference in us without us ever having to tell people directly.

The words of St Francis about preaching the Gospel, using words if we really need to, spring to mind here. The T-Shirt says it all and is all.

I hope this helps develop this a bit further (and that my weird brain doesn't get in the way too much!).

Pax

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that your words, "This eventually became the T-Shirt which proclaimed that I was a Christian to me, but said nothing at all to those who saw me," has caused me much pain.

I am fearful that this might be the case for me. I know I'm a Christian but have let my beliefs and attitudes slip to be less offensive or contentious to others such that now I wonder if anyone seeing me sees anything but a plain T-shirt.

Thank you for this wake-up call.

Kind regards for 2011