Friday 17 June 2011

A man hears?

What he wants to hear and disregards the rest!

Well that's the truth according to the lyrics of the Simon and Garfunkel song 'The Boxer' and those words challenge and guide me everyday in all that I do (and attempt to do) and in the way that I think and handle information.

It seems to me that the struggle to live in a way that regards, considers and dialogues with those things that are contrary to our own beliefs and attitudes (and show respect to) is the place from which we might begin to find the means whereby unity and being Church might be made a reality.

Sadly though, others would rather just climb into the ring and fight such that they deny Christ and diminish the witness of the Church to those in the world. Today the words of the song were used to defend the fact that the person had a closed mind rather than point to the paucity of wit and integrity.

But that's not me (us, you?) is it?

Pax

ps. Pain when you think you've saved something only to find you've posted it instead. Make me glad I don't drink for at least that way the madness is all me and not the alcohol :)

No comments: