Saturday 18 June 2011

That's not very Christian, is it?

Popped into a church building today to find a bloke standing in the entrance smoking a cigarette and so politely I asked him if he'd either take it outside or put it out. "But it's chucking it down outside," said the chap, "Anyway, what's it got to do with you?"

I pointed out that first and foremost the law prohibited smoking in public places (“Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places Rules 2008”) and that there were a number of "no Smoking' notices around the place which pointed that fact out. Secondly, I had to point out that I was the dog-collar and was therefore, in some way, responsible for the building (open-necked shirt today as predominantly in the study all day) and its care.

"But it's raining, I'll get wet if I go out there," came the defence. Recognising this as no defence I suggested that in that case he should merely extinguish his cigarette and remain in the dry. Walking out (into the rain) he stopped, turned and said, "Very Christian!" and vanished into the deluge.

I wonder how often those who bear the title 'Christian' find themselves pilloried for being such because the source of the criticism, complaint or even abuse has found that their English language has let them down. So here we are, English Language 101 as our American cousins would say. Of course the Americans use a very different English from us but retain, and use, the same name for it to distinguish between it and Spanish, which is as I understand it becoming the more common language of the US of A (or Estados Unidos de America, to give it its proper name in years to come perhaps?).

C - H - R - I - S - T - I - A - N
(noun), one who professes a faith in Jesus Christ.

Not to be confused with:

D - O - O - R - M - A - T
(noun), a person who offers little, or no, resistance to abuse or mistreatment by others (an informal usage which differs from rug, mat or cloth at door entrance!).

Because I seek to be a servant this does not relegate me to a position whereby I become some lower caste or plebeian member of society who is there only to make others feel better about themselves. Neither do I exist to be the focus of anyone's misplaced linguistic or social skills or to help them elevate themselves by belittling others.

Time to stop apologising for being Church, church, and get out there and be loud and proud (in a quiet, humble sort of way).

Pax

4 comments:

Phillip said...

Excellent post. I wonder what he would say to the publican at the local pub if asked to put out his ciggy.

Undergroundpewster said...

And I thought we were supposed to welcome all behaviors as though they were blessings from God. ;-)

Jill said...

After all,the Bible doesn't say 'thou shalt not smoke in church' ...

Anonymous said...

With so many Christians acting like doormats its hardly surprising that there are so many dyslexics about....