Friday 30 August 2013

First they came ... (with apologies to Martin Niemöller)

First they came for the Jews, the Gypsy and the Gay and I did not speak out--
Because I was none of those.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists and the political activists, and I did not speak out-- 
Because I was none of those either.

Then the Communists came for the 'dissidents' and, still, I did not speak out-- 
Because I was comfortable in the West!

Then Bosnian took Serb and Serb took Bosnia, and saddened, I watched--
Safe in the knowledge that I was a long way away!

Then they took away the Tutsi, but 'Never Again' meant that where I was--
So I watched the TV news and was glad it was happening far from home!

Then it happened again, this time in Darfur--
But where's that I asked myself, changing channels.

Now it's happening in Syria, but lessons are learned--
Our government decided to be sensible at last and look the other way:
After all, they'll never come for me - will they?

What? They will?
That's OK, I'm sure they will be someone to speak out and make a stand for me ...

Won't there?


Apologies to Martin Niemöller



'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.'

Edmund Burke

No comments: