Wednesday 13 August 2014

Teechers I have known: Colin Chapman

There are many teechers in the world. Some have made their mark on me (literally!) and others have left me with something most amazing legacy (though it is often in defiance of their passion and ability to fire something in their pupils).

One of those is a chap by the name of Colin Chapman who taught at Woodbery Downs School - now gone it was one of the first purpose built Comprehensives  - whose passion for English and his compassion on a scrawny Norf London kid from a rather tough and difficult home which manifested itself in getting me to read different stuff and write pomes and sow seeds that have taken me to many places.

I've tried to find the bloke to say 'Thank You' but have failed at every turn and so, in the vain hope that one of the half-dozen who reads this blog might know of him or one of his, am positing my thanks here. I really couldn't have done it without this man's gift to me.

Mind you it also got me stick for reading 'poofy stuff' when I was an apprentice (still sad that they burned one of my books of Wordsworth - a hardback from Foyles) and for using big words (but I've never been pusillanimous have I?). But, burning books a debt of gratitude is indeed owed and acknowledged.

And to the teacher who left a physical mark (and taught me the value of integrity):

John Bignell and his ever-present opportunity to bow to the Queen!


No comments: