Wednesday 8 February 2017

Journal: it's part of the job!

Last week I managed three hours in the study surrounded by books and studying the Bible. I also managed a couple of undisturbed (No telephones) hours reflecting and praying (outside the usual daily round of reflection and prayer) and it was wonderful. The same is destined to happen again this week - but, despite the thoughts of some, it's not time off - it truly is part of the job!

One of my internal challenges comes in the shape of thinking that being out visiting and 'doing stuff' means that back in the study I need to work - and this often means an evening shuffling paper! But, as the wife has always said, "It's part of the job, not a skive!" The same goes for me when I shut the door and snuggle down with a God book and read, pray and reflect.

Today was a partial day off - but it felt like it was a day off as I took most of the afternoon and evening off and found myself using the Meerkat app to go and have a cheap trip to the cinema to see Hacksaw Ridge - an inspirational, yet uneasy, piece of cinematography. It is a stunning film and one that speaks of the valour of those who hold to religious views that separate them from the mainstream; well worth a watch if you can endure the carnage depicted.

Tomorrow is a day filled with funerals (back-to-back in the Crem') and funeral visits and stuff - the stuff my ministry is made of - and I'm ready for it; in fact I'm looking forward to it!

So Lord, for the day ended and the challenges and joys it held - may I have been a blessing to those engaged with - and may I have been your man in the places I found myself.

I will indeed praise you for not only and I fearfully and wonderfully made, but a gloriously redeemed. Your love provides, surrounds and upholds me and Your Grace enables my every breath.

Lead me in the ways I ought to go and keep my feet from flipping, my tongue from folly and my hands from sin.


This place of reflection is here for me to dialogue internally and gain insight and perspective. It first appeared in this current form for some of those looking at creating their own journal as part of the their journey to discerning vocation. The Morning prayer is there also for that same purpose: to create the discipline of prayer. Dialogue, insights and experience of others concerning this entry is always welcome - all grist to the mill.

No comments: