Wednesday 19 May 2010

Telling Lies is the new honesty

Heard an interesting discussion on the radio - apparently it's O.K. to tell lies. Not only that but telling lies actually demonstrates the fact that you love the other person (or so those calling in would have us believe).

What was funny is that having asked 3,000 people about lying they actually believed the results!

It seems that men are supposed to lie three times a day (not sure whether this is an observation or instruction) and women lie about twice a day. Apparently 'white lies' are acceptable because they aren't lies at all, they just say what the other person wants to hear.

Interesting that men and women share five very common lies:

1, Nothing's wrong, I'm fine

2. It wasn't that expensive

3. I didn't have that much to drink

4. I'm on my way

5. It's just what I've always wanted

The bloke's special lie: No, your bum doesn't look big in that!

And the women's special lie: It was in the sale!

So now we know.

Everything I say is a lie, and that's the truth!

3 comments:

Judah said...

Everything you say?
Surely you say far more than just 3 things a day?
Oh... that was the first one, was it?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

It's a bit like postmodernity and faith where nothing is valid and so all views become valid I guess?

What stunned me over this is the attitude that says that it's not only right but necessary for relationships and communication to function correctly. Without lies there is no truth!

Mmmmm

Judah said...

Despite having been taught otherwise (I thought) my son told me that one is only guilty of having done something if one is found out. He went ahead and tried the same argument on a Judge and discovered His Honour was not particularly impressed, overruling the particular objection being thus defended.

Where had he learnt such a thing? It was certainly not from me! He has grown up in a postmodern culture pervaded by moral relativity, and thus his point of view is probably not too suprising. It was certainly the view espoused by an important American philosopher, Dr Richard Rorty, who took the position of the pragmatist, asserting that truth is what one’s peers lets one get away with.

This is all around us these days... the truth is whatever you want it to be.
NOT!!!