Wednesday 9 March 2011

Hockley to Rome

I see that Fr Jeff Woulnough has of course swum the Tiber and therefore the real angst wasn't that he was making an ass of him and me, but that he just hadn't told anyone that it was a done deal, and had his decision brought into the light before he'd told his bishop and parishoners.

Seems that my initial thoughts were correct and so, as I wish him and his family well as they continue their personal pilgrimage, with him and the others who leave today have to say that I hope that there will remain within our church a number of people willing to remain faithful to their calling and maintain the catholicity of our church.

+ For those who have contacted me to berate me for assuming that Fr Woolnough was going when he obviously wasn't.

+ For those who considered my posts to be nothing more than opinionated railing against the 'True Church' and the 'faithful'.

+ To those who have told me that I was not a true priest because of my 'anti-roman' views.

I think the realities speak for themselves in the words of +Brentwood, in the posturing of some and the triumphalism of others and most of all in the facts before us. I reported truly and honestly (something that some going might take time to learn) and remain, as I am, an Anglican Priest who is committed to ecumenical realities and willing to dialogue with those with whom I disagree.

Opinionated? Probably, but then I am in a denomination which, at least for now, permits differing opinions. Merely a 'Minister' - no,sorry Jeff, a Priest, an Anglican Priest who remains true to the promises and oaths that I took upon ordination because having been called, here I stand, for I can do none other!

The Ordinariate is too soon and too fuzzy and I fear that some will come to rue this day.

You can read Woolnough's parting wordshere and also find Fr. Lee Bennett's here.

A sad loss of some very good PPs and one which, in my opinion, rather than make a stand for that which is right joins with those others who wish us anything but well and will result in our having greater difficulties in terms of identity.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen and goodbye to all of the swimming class. I truly hope and pray that they will find what they desire in Rome and that they know God's blessing on them.

Pray also that the communities who see their PPs leave will find shepherds who will provide continuity of care, a sound Gospel and possess a pastoral heart - may God be with them as they prepare to continue without some of their numbers and may friendships be maintained.

Pray that we will see this as nothing more than the loss of a few and pray that we will see more orthodox and traditional believers sensing a calling within our ranks.

Pax

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vic,
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Keep on with the blog. I dont agree with everything you say, ... or at times understand everything. But its a great read written with honesty and humour.
Regards, Queequog

UKViewer said...

I can see Fr Jeff's perspective, his well laid plans were being blown open before he had the chance to surprise? his congregation.

I'm rather glad that you have decided to stay, as I don't think that Rome would have held both you and the Pope:)

You would have been wearing red as soon as you got out of the water.

Smoke signals from the Vatican would have announced your ascension to the seat of infallibility and then the fun would really start.

Anonymous said...

Better to be an proud and engaged Anglican Priest than an erzatz Catholic one!

Good post Vicar

Glad your not going, their loss is our gain.