Thursday 31 March 2011

Nominate your unhelpful Christian

Following on from the blog yesterday I have had quite an interesting mail bag and so I thought I'd ask you for your opinions.

Here are the categories and nominees thus far (feel free to add more and keep coming back as this is a dynamic page in that it will grow to reflect the nominations):

The issue :

1. The Rapture

2. Pathetic Prophets and wicked utterance brigade

3. Marginalised Christians

4. Young Earth

5. Prosperity Ministries

6. Burn a Koran Day

7. The Toronto Blessing

The Message:

1. Jesus returns on 21st May

2. Japan is God's enemy because . . . .

3. Look at us, we're being acted against because . . .

4. You're not a Christian if you don't believe in literal days of creation

5. Name it, claim it, feel it, heal it!

6. Intolerance is a Christian virtue

The Person:

1. Harold Camping

2. Fred Phelps

3. George Carey

4. Ken Ham

5. Benny Hinn

6. Terry Jones

7. Todd Bentley

Loads of room for more here - what do you think about the way we portray ourselves and 'preach' our subjective, skewed and sometimes contrary 'truths' to others?

I have to say that I was amazed at the response to this issue which I assumed was one of those 'just me' things. Once we're done with this (if it flies) I will post a poll and we can see who wins the awards and hopefully I'll have a better understanding of what's going on outside my own space as well.

Pax

3 comments:

T said...

Can I add Terry Jones and his burn a Koran day please?

A most unhelpful activity and situation, especially where there are a number of already radical islamics.

Anonymous said...

The prosperity ministries that tell the poor they can have it all, just send us some money.

Personality? Benny Hinn

Lie? If you're ill or have money troubles it's because of personal sin.

Steve Day (@therevsteve) said...

I nominate Rt. Revd. George Cary for position 3 - he seems to bang on about being persecuted.