Saturday 30 July 2011

Blogging - Do we have to say the same thing?

I did a quick straw poll of a few genres of blog yesterday and found that in each and every category (Christian, political, Evangelical, High, RC, Liberal, etc.) one of the interesting, and common, elements present in each was that many said exactly the same thing. O.K., I only looked at about fifteen from each category but it was sad that people who were political painted the same picture as all those who were of the same persuasion. Some of the Christian blogs all seemed to draw upon the news items and used them as their post with little opinion and nothing to make them theirs.

I took a look at all of the blogs that appear as recommendations on this blog and found that generally they were all very much individuals. Each had something to say about things that weren't perhaps in the news and when they were, there was some content and signs of the lights being on inside the writer's head.

Some are very straight (in a non-sexual way), some are pretty weird (in a 'should they be locked up way') and some are so tangential that they are a relief from the normal run of the mill experiences.

So, here's a request to those poor souls who visit here by choice or chance, if you're going to blog then please be you. Comment on the things that make you happy, drive you insane or won't let you sleep.

If everyone was different then we'd all be the same! (wouldn't we?)

Pax

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not sure that I can do 'normal' and sort of find myself hoping that I am from the 'to be locked away' camp!

Good post, thank you

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

David,

You most certainly are normal (where normal = not like the others) in my book - that's what makes you such a good read.

I really enjoy the writings that make me stop and think - problem is that so many, in voicing the same as others, don't do this to me.

Happy Saturday,

V

Ray Barnes said...

While it is highly unlikely that you would read my blog, I can honestly say that it is in no recognizablr category.
In the main, it is a random way of oxyginating my addled brain.
If something weighs heavily so that it dominates my thinking, out it comes in a blog.
If a rant on some piece of trivia feels appropriate, out it comes in a blog.
If the mood is more reflective or even depressive, once more, food for blog.
Whether it is worth reading is another matter entirely.

Stuart said...

I do try to mix up a bit if poss. It can get very repetitive and boring out there frankly.

Trouble is, I'm not terribly good at original thinking, and so find I have to feed off other sources, which makes me a little dependent.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Not true Ray, I often read you blog (because I can)

:)

A good read for many reasons,

V

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Stuart - I frequently visit your blog and find you have some very good stuff to say - thanks,

V

Ray Barnes said...

Vic

I am honoured (and amazed).
Thankyou.

Undergroundpewster said...

Fr. David, I never was sure what "normal" was...

I was on a T.V. show once when I was little, and I remember being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I told the host exactly what my older brother told me to say.

"I just want to be normal!"

You don't always get what you want.