Wednesday 20 July 2011

Gerald Hegarty - a sad loss

I found out today that one of my heroes, teacher, supporter and advisor had died. It's funny but I assumed he would always be around somewhere even though we hadn't spoken for some time. Gerald taught me such that even now I hear his voice, always beginning with the Northern Irish variant of 'now' (a sort of 'noy' sound!), cautioning me when I engage in some 'real' theology and probing to see into the depths (aaargh - Monophysites, monothelites and kenotic revelations all come flooding back).

The man who always had a smile and a twinkle in his eye, would challenge and correct with an air of loving (parental) concern is gone, but his impact and legacy remains within his immediate family and within the family of those he trained. His letters from Oxford when he returned as Chaplain to St Edmund Hall and his advice demonstrated to me the mark of this lovely individual.

The first time I met Gerald, he approached me and asked if I had a barge. "No," I replied, "It's a narrowboat!"
Gerald's eyes widened and his eyebrows rose. "Do you have a namebadge?" It was the accent, honest!

So farewell, for now, to one of the Christian world's nicest and most learned (and gentlest) of people.

My prayers (belatedly) are with Karen and the children and all who mourn his passing.

Dona eis requiem Gerald

No comments: