Tuesday 22 October 2013

Daily Office - Oct 22

Psalm 5
Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing. 
Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray. 
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch. 

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil will not sojourn with you. 
The boastful will not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers. 
You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful. 

But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house,
I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you. 
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies;
make your way straight before me. 

For there is no truth in their mouths;
their hearts are destruction;
their throats are open graves;
they flatter with their tongues. 
Make them bear their guilt, O God;
let them fall by their own counsels;
because of their many transgressions cast them out,
for they have rebelled against you. 

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
so that those who love your name may exult in you. 
For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover them with favour as with a shield.

Psalm 6
O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
or discipline me in your wrath. 
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
O Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror. 
My soul also is struck with terror,
while you, O Lord—how long? 

Turn, O Lord, save my life;
deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love. 
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
in Sheol who can give you praise? 

I am weary with my moaning;
every night I flood my bed with tears;
I drench my couch with my weeping. 
My eyes waste away because of grief;
they grow weak because of all my foes. 

Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping. 
The Lord has heard my supplication;
the Lord accepts my prayer. 
All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror;
they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.

Psalm 8
O Lord, our Sovereign,
how majestic is your name in all the earth! 

You have set your glory above the heavens. 
Out of the mouths of babes and infants
you have founded a bulwark because of your foes,
to silence the enemy and the avenger. 

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars that you have established; 
what are human beings that you are mindful of them,
mortals that you care for them? 

Yet you have made them a little lower than God,
and crowned them with glory and honour. 
You have given them dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under their feet, 
all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field, 
the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the seas. 

O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Micah 2
Alas for those who devise wickedness
   and evil deeds on their beds!
When the morning dawns, they perform it,
   because it is in their power. 
They covet fields, and seize them;
   houses, and take them away;
they oppress householder and house,
   people and their inheritance. 
Therefore, thus says the Lord:
Now, I am devising against this family an evil
   from which you cannot remove your necks;
and you shall not walk haughtily,
   for it will be an evil time. 
On that day they shall take up a taunt-song against you,
   and wail with bitter lamentation,
and say, ‘We are utterly ruined;
   the Lord alters the inheritance of my people;
how he removes it from me!
   Among our captors he parcels out our fields.’ 
Therefore you will have no one to cast the line by lot
   in the assembly of the Lord. 

‘Do not preach’—thus they preach—
   ‘one should not preach of such things;
   disgrace will not overtake us.’ 
Should this be said, O house of Jacob?
   Is the Lord’s patience exhausted?
   Are these his doings?
Do not my words do good
   to one who walks uprightly? 
But you rise up against my people as an enemy;
   you strip the robe from the peaceful,
from those who pass by trustingly
   with no thought of war. 
The women of my people you drive out
   from their pleasant houses;
from their young children you take away
   my glory for ever. 
Arise and go;
   for this is no place to rest,
because of uncleanness that destroys
   with a grievous destruction. 
If someone were to go about uttering empty falsehoods,
   saying, ‘I will preach to you of wine and strong drink’,
   such a one would be the preacher for this people! 

I will surely gather all of you, O Jacob,
   I will gather the survivors of Israel;
I will set them together
   like sheep in a fold,
like a flock in its pasture;
   it will resound with people. 
The one who breaks out will go up before them;
   they will break through and pass the gate,
   going out by it.
Their king will pass on before them,
   the Lord at their head. 

John 17.6-19
‘I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

The Collect
Grant, we beseech you, merciful Lord,
to your faithful people pardon and peace,
that they may be cleansed from all their sins
and serve you with a quiet mind;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: