Friday 9 April 2010

Not doing what the others do!

I have been challenged by the fact that some people appear to be rather limited in wit!

The obvious demonstration of this lies in that although we (Christians) have the Bible in our own language, thank you Mr. Tyndale, and books that allow us to focus onto the minutiae of theological understanding, we (Christians) apparently act from the motive of not wanting be 'Catholics'. Although I can see some attraction in this as a response to some of the patristic errors and the legacy of Papal excesses and ignorance, this is not an intelligent course to take.

By the same token I find that some of those who wish to be 'Calvinists' and even 'Reformed Evangelicals' seek to do so such that they are happy to have a vicarage and stipend and yet don't really wish to be Anglicans at all. Some wish to be Baptists (or even anabaptists) whilst others wish to be pastors of Vineyards churches and others still members of some weird kind of polytheistic liberal heresy which denies Christianity and sees universalism and 'all gods leading to God' as the norm.

I have to point out that I am an Anglican priest and that this means that I have thirty-nine articles of faith to contend with. I am in a denomination where infant baptism is the norm (just as it has been for some two thousand years) despite the anabaptist revision during the 1500's. I am in a church which continues to practice what Christians have practised for c. 2,000 years and although the church has remained consistent we do have to consider that the customer base has not (see ethnic Christianity comments made a couple of weeks back).

I am all for theologically challenging errors but to have people who contact me to say that we must make our stand by doing the opposite of what Catholics do only confirms the paucity of theological understanding and personal integrity.

We do not act against others but against satan. We do not act to. Not be something," but to be more like Christ. I celebrate Ash Wednesday because it is something that appears as part of the Christian tradition not because it is 'Catholic'.

I remember Christ's death on Good Friday and keep the remembrance not because I am 'Being Catholic" but because He died for me and it does me good to remember that my sins took Him to that place.

I do not, "Have to have Christ dead for three days," but remember that He was and reflect on those early followers, without the befit of the hollow triumphalism and smug, self-satisfied 'Evo' contentment and the benefit of hindsight, who had no idea he was to rise on the Sunday. If I lose sight of the loss how can I retain sight of the gain?

To act out of anything other than faith is to act in unbelief and sin - can I suggest therefore that some who share the label 'evangelical' with me are perhaps guilty therefore of sin and ask that they examine themselves rather than condemn others by word and attitude?

Pax

CHRIST HAS DIED
CHRIST IS RISEN
CHRIST WILL COME AGAIN

Easy really!

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

From the tone and theme of this post, I take it that some uncharitable feedback has been given.

I am not an Evangelical by tradition, unless an RC heritage provides that - I am a member of the Anglican Church, which I take, 39 Articles and all and accept what it teaches and practices.

I attend a number of churches as well as my own, varying from High Church smells and bells to Low Church, or evangelical, where liturgy appears closer to Baptist than Anglican.

Uniformly, I have been made to feel welcome and valued from committed church members - I am not critical of their traditions as I respect and acknowledge them in love and unity as part of our Church.

I am afraid that I can't understand the need to take positions and criticise others, rather we should be working and praying together for unity with all Christians to bring God's Kingdom closer here on earth.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Indeed so!

The lack of charity was aimed at others and although referring to an entry here was made by mail, but as it relates to a thread here I thought I'd answer it publicly - to avoid any confusion or misquoting on what I have said.

We need to live as christians trying to emulate Christ not work from a position of 'not being like someone else (unless it's satan of course ;)).

As you rightly say, we need to work with others to build the kingdom rather than against others in a need to self-justifty.

Pax