Friday 23 April 2010

Telling truth as we live it

Last night, whilst watching television, I was struck by the fact that the person who had caught my attention gave all the appearance of being someone who supported and was perhaps even a member of the Christian faith. This was a bit if a surprise as I'd been under the impression, having been told by many other Christians and other sources, that they were not only 'not Christian' but were also rather antagonistic towards Christians as a whole.

Were they wrong? Had I been suckered in by well-meaning Christians who had merely been misinformed and passed this misinformation on? I continued to listen and realised that in fact the words were clever and carefully formed to make them look safe and to give the appearance of being warm and even positive towards the christian faith. They even used a relationship in support of their 'Christian' position to accentuate and confirm this as a reality (or so it seemed to me).

I was concerned at first (and still am) because what was said and portrayed appears not to be the truth and I don't like being conned. I was also stopped short because I realise that whilst this is most definitely deception and deceit in action, it is also something that we all, to some extent do, and it got me thinking about our 'yes' being our 'yes' and our 'no' being equally obvious as such too.

Ever been stopped by someone and challenged about being, for example, a racist? One of the first defences people always (and I mean always) use here is to comment upon the fact that they have umpteen black, asian or whatever friends. On examination this is often found to be a hollow claim and there is some truth in the accusation, fortunately people rarely examine the realities and only hear the words and so the person being challenges wriggles free to hopefully reconsider their position.

I know people who are atheists or agnostics and yet are married to Christians. The fact that they are married to a Christian neither confers upon them any faith (in status or reality) and it makes no difference to their own belief (or lack of it in this case). So, when asked whether we are supportive of Christians, or are ourselves Christian, answering that we have Christian friends or better still are married to a Christian carries no weight and salves no concerns. It is so very clever to answer a question aimed at us by talking about the beliefs or attitudes of another, but it is not telling the truth.

So, when someone asks me my views will I answer, "Well, I'm part of a community which traditionally believes . . .," or will I state my position and views openly and honestly. If we can't do this then how on earth do we state our political views and more importantly, how do we communicate the reality of our faith in Christ. If we can't state our views because they might be offensive or abhorrent to others then we need to examine what we believe, think and do to see whether those who challenge us are right. If they are then we seek to redress the situation and it we are not at fault, to change the position of those who might oppose us, correcting them gently (but firmly).

Pax

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Interesting comment! Being open about our views and beliefs! Not very English? Or is it. When I was a raging Agnostic, I was quite open and voluble regarding my lack of belief in any religion and my distrust of it.

So, when I changed and accepted Jesus Christ into my life, it confounded many who had known me for many years. Especially as I was happy to say that I had been wrong (apparently, it is not the done thing to admit error - not English!).

I have been equally voluble about my Christian beliefs, but now speak from a much greater foundation of underlying knowledge and truth. But I don't stand on street corners with a bill board, I wear a Crucifix discreetly and it can be a conversation starter (or stopper on occasion.

One thing I have learned is to listen, carefully to others - as I know that listening is the most underrated things - and people do not have the patience these days, always wanting to interject or to get their point across. So they are actually suprised if you listen to them - this is the basis for trust and renewing contact with the world.

I also hope that the way I choose to live will speak for itself - but we must be prepared to be challenged and to challenge in return, give and take can be formative if we are not agressive with it.

Of course, this election has raised more issues for me - traditional political thought has now been consigned to history, now I look at everything from a Christian perspective - and frankly, am finding it difficult to discern whether any of the current three main parties deserves my support. I am thinking Green as the moment - for the first time ever.

PhilC said...

If the person you mention is the one I'm thinking of, then he did mske it very clear that he was "Not a man of faith" and as another whom does not share a faith, I have been known to use Christian language to convey ideas.

This is not deceipt, but should be taken in context as I have been advised I should do when reading the Bible.