Thursday 1 April 2010

Women, know your limits



I used to enjoy these clips from the Harry Enfield show and often they would lead to us discussing issues relating to women's equality and their role today. Mind you, it does seem to me that many of the women today have truly forgotten that they are women and are striving, and in some cases become, merely blokes in dresses!

I get so tired of hearing people tell me how Christianity has denied women a place and subjugated them for two thousand years. Obviously many of those who bleat on about discrimination and misogynistic tendencies don't realise that it wasn't that long ago that women, along with slaves and children, had no legal status. they were merely property to be assigned over to another bloke. When Christianity turned up on the scene, one of the things it did was to remove the 'non persona' status from women  (and slaves), not in the way that so many, unknowing, people tell me was part of Jesus' communistic tendencies, but because people were regarded as people.

I got engaged in a short dialogue regarding a piece on R4 today. I actually missed the piece because I was doing a cremation but I understand it was regarding women's lib' and women's rights. I was silly enough to point out that a body I was a member of some time back did a senior management survey and found that women on the top floor liked to keep two layers between them and any other woman who might be considered to be a 'threat'. Men on the other hand were more generous and supported up and coming types on the basis that, if they rose up the ladder, they would have a friend and ally and if the passed them in the career chain, would have a friend in a higher place.

Apparently there are a number of films out at the moment showing how women are taking the places of violent crime that were once the province of nasty chappies that the East-End gangland films love to portray. When away on a CofE course some six years back I was shocked to hear that women should be ordained into pastoral roles because they are 'naturally caring and sensitive'. The blokes should be given the jobs where there was paperwork, drain clearing and 'insensitive blokey stuff'.

I, of course, complained and we went down the, "All men are potential rapists," argument from some of the slower witted among us. "Ah yes, I replied (joyfully) but then let's be fair and admit that all women are potential prostitutes!" Strangely this did not go down well and I was apparently being sexist! Seems equality has to thrive by engaging in inequality and ad hominemns.

Well it appears to be the case that as the women become more like blokes (rather than merely enjoy the opportunities that were once the province of the males) they are seeing their life expectancy decrease, they're getting more illnesses and seeing even more negatives besides. I meet so many women who, "Don't do maternal!" and see this as one of the greatest shames of our Western culture - we have mad woman in our image :( .

How I wish women could enjoy being women and take opportunities without having to become blokes in skirts. They don't need to be harder, tougher, crueller or anything else - just being women is surely enough? Take the opportunities but celebrate the difference (please).

3 comments:

Judah said...

My dearly beloved thinks this is the answer:
Wife School

With my most becoming prudence, I will leave you to just guess my thoughts on that, but if a clue is needed, Jesus came as a servant and gave his life for His bride, the church.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Mmmmm - don't think I'll let some of the women I know read this entry.

Thanks Jude!!

:)

Helegant said...

Who defines the limit?
"Perhaps it is no wonder that the women were first at the Cradle and last at the Cross. They had never known a man like this Man. There never has been such another. A prophet and teacher who never nagged at them, never flattered or coaxed or patronized; who never made arch jokes about them, never treated them either as "The women, God help us!" or "The ladies, God bless them!"; who rebuked without querulousness and praised without condescension; who took their questions and arguments seriously; who never mapped out their sphere for them, never urged them to be feminine or jeered at them for being female; who had no axe to grind and no uneasy male dignity to defend; who took them as He found them and was completely unself-conscious. There is no act, no sermon, no parable in the whole Gospel that borrows its pungency from female perversity; nobody could guess from the words and deeds of Jesus that there was anything "funny" about woman's nature." I think this was written by Rob Bell.