Friday 1 November 2013

Night Prayer - Nov 1

All Saints’ Day

The Lord almighty grant us a quiet night and a perfect end. Amen.

Our help is in the name of the Lord who made heaven and earth.

A period of silence for reflection on the past day followed by an act of repentance.

Most merciful God, I confess to you, before the whole company of heaven,
that I have sinned in thought, word and deed and in what I have failed to do.
Forgive me my sins, heal me by your Spirit and raise me to new life in Christ. Amen.

O God, make speed to save us. O Lord, make haste to help us.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen. Alleluia.

Before the ending of the day,Creator of the world, we pray
That you, with steadfast love, would keep Your watch around us while we sleep.
From evil dreams defend our sight, from fears and terrors of the night;
Tread underfoot our deadly foe that we no sinful thought may know.
O Father, that we ask be done through Jesus Christ, your only Son;
And Holy Spirit, by whose breath our souls are raised to life from death.

Psalm 139 vv 1-18
Search me out, O God, and know my heart

O Lord, you have searched me out and known me;
you know my sitting down and my rising up; you discern my thoughts from afar.
You mark out my journeys and my resting place and are acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word on my tongue, but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You encompass me behind and before and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, so high that I cannot attain it.
Where can I go then from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there; if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand shall lead me, your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, Surely the darkness will cover me and the light around me turn to night,
Even darkness is no darkness with you, the night is as clear as the day; darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I thank you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvellous are your works, my soul knows well.
My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in secret and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my form, as yet unfinished; already in your book were all my members written,
As day by day they were fashioned when as yet there was none of them.
How deep are your counsels to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!
If I count them, they are more in number than the sand, and at the end, I am still in your presence.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.

Search me out, O God, and know my heart.

Creator God, may every breath we take be for your glory,
may every footstep show you as our way, that, trusting in your presence in this world,
we may, beyond this life, still be with you where you are alive and reign for ever and ever. Amen.

Matthew 24.13,14a
The one who endures to the end will be saved. And this good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the world, as a testimony to all the nations.

Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. For you have redeemed me, Lord God of truth.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
Keep me as the apple of your eye. Hide me under the shadow of your wings.

The Nunc Dimittis (Song of Simeon)

O King most blessed, on the day of judgement number us among your chosen.

Now, Lord, you let your servant go in peace: your word has been fulfilled.
My own eyes have seen the salvation which you have prepared in the sight of every people;
A light to reveal you to the nations and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.

O King most blessed, on the day of judgement number us among your chosen.

Intercessions and thanksgivings may be offered here.

The Collect
Almighty God,
you have knit together your elect in one communion and fellowship in the mystical body of your Son Christ our Lord:
grant us grace so to follow your blessed saints in all virtuous and godly living
that we may come to those inexpressible joys that you have prepared for those who truly love you;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

The Conclusion
In peace we will lie down and sleep; for you alone, Lord, make us dwell in safety.
Abide with us, Lord Jesus, for the night is at hand and the day is now past.
As the night watch looks for the morning, so do we look for you, O Christ.
Come with the dawning of the day and make yourself known in the breaking of the bread.

The Lord bless us and watch over us;
the Lord make his face shine upon us and be gracious to us;
the Lord look kindly on us and give us peace. Amen.

No comments: