Tuesday 12 November 2013

Night Prayer - Nov 11

Armistice
Martin, Bishop of Tours, c.397


The Lord almighty grant us a quiet night and a perfect end. Amen.

Our help is in the name of the Lord who made heaven and earth.

A period of reflection on the past day.

Most merciful God, I confess to you, before the whole company of heaven,
that have sinned in thought, word and deed
and in what I have failed to do. Forgive me my sins,
heal me by your Spirit and raise me into new life in Christ. Amen.

O God, make speed to save us. O Lord, make haste to help us.
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.  Alleluia.

Before the ending of the day, Creator of the world, we pray
That you, with steadfast love, would keep Your watch around us while we sleep.
From evil dreams defend our sight, From fears and terrors of the night;
tread underfoot our deadly foe that we no sinful thought may know.
O Father, that we ask be done through Jesus Christ, your only Son;
And Holy Spirit, by whose breath our souls are raised to life from death.

Psalm 4
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness; you set me at liberty when I was in trouble; have mercy on me and hear my prayer. How long will you nobles dishonour my glory; how long will you love vain things and seek after falsehood?
But know that the Lord has shown me his marvellous kindness; when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Stand in awe, and sin not; commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.
Offer the sacrifices of righteousness and put your trust in the Lord. There are many that say, Who will show us any good? Lord, lift up the light of your countenance upon us. You have put gladness in my heart, more than when their corn and wine and oil increase. In peace I will lie down and sleep, for it is you Lord, only, who make me dwell in safety.

Give us today, O God, a glad heart and a clear conscience,
that when we come to this days end we may rest in peace with Christ our Lord.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.

Matthew 24.13,14a
The one who endures to the end will be saved. And this good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the world, as a testimony to all the nations.

Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit..
For you have redeemed me, Lord God of truth.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.

Keep me as the apple of your eye. Hide me under the shadow of your wings.

The Nunc Dimittis (Song of Simeon)

O King most blessed, on the day of judgement number us among your chosen.

Now, Lord, you let your servant go in peace: your word has been fulfilled.
My own eyes have seen the salvation which you have prepared in the sight of every people;
A light to reveal you to the nations and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.

O King most blessed, on the day of judgement number us among your chosen.

The Collect
God all powerful,
who called Martin from the armies of this world to be a faithful soldier of Christ:
give us grace to follow him in his love and compassion for the needy,
and enable your Church to claim for all people their inheritance as children of God;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

In peace we will lie down and sleep; for you alone, Lord, make us dwell in safety.
Abide with us, Lord Jesus, for the night is at hand and the day is now past.
As the night watch looks for the morning, so do we look for you, O Christ.
Come with the dawning of the day and make yourself known in the breaking of the bread.

The Lord bless us and watch over us;
the Lord make his face shine upon us and be gracious to us;
the Lord look kindly on us and give us peace. Amen.

No comments: