Tuesday 12 November 2013

Totally Amazing Grace!

Now I don't know how many of those out there have ever considered singing twelve verses of Amazing Grace but that was what I was presented with at a recent funeral service.

What happened thought was that we sang the usual six verses and binned the Cuckoos! For those who are vaguely interested, here are all twelve verses:

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound!
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, But now am found
Was blind but now I see. (VERSE ONE)

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear.
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!  (VERSE TWO)

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come.
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home! (VERSE THREE)

The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures. (VERSE FOUR)

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace! (VERSE FIVE)


The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbid to shine;
But God who called me here below
Shall be forever mine!

In evil long I took delight
Unmoved by shame or fear;
'Til a new object met my sight,
And stopped my wild career.

I saw One hanging on a tree,
In agonies and blood;
Who fixed His languid eyes on me
As near His cross I stood.

Sure, never 'til my latest breath,
Can I forget that look
It seemed to charge me with His death
Though not a word He spoke.

My conscience owned and felt the guilt,
And plunged me in despair;
I saw my sins His blood had shed,
And helped to nail Him there.

Alas, I knew not what I did,
But all my tears were vain;
Where could my trembling soul be hid,
For I the Lord had slain!

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun;
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we first begun! (VERSE SIX)

This, and other experiences (such as removing any reference to war, sonships and even God) led me to reach for that standard Funeral book ('Funeral Services') and send the correct words of the standard funeral hymns to all the local undertakers and clergy in the hope it might remove the errors, omissions and modifications. The words can be found in a pdf document at  and any who might like to have a copy are most welcome to do so.

No comments: